Director of Advocacy
The Community Organizer is responsible for strengthening Save The Bay’s grassroots organizing capacity. As a member of the Policy Team, the Community Organizer plays a vital role in the organization’s pursuit of legislative and policy initiatives aimed at achieving its mission.
- Develop and implement strategies to organize supporters across the state to work toward achieving the Save The Bay’s strategic objectives, including developing campaign plans, and turning goals and strategies into tactics, timelines and metrics;
- Mobilize the Bay community to participate in the public process of environmental decision-making;
- Strengthen Save The Bay’s grassroots capacity by educating the Bay community about the issues, and connecting them directly to decision makers at the local, state and federal level;
- Represent Save The Bay on policy matters in the State House and before city and town councils;
- Represent Save The Bay in coalitions, task forces and other forums;
- Communicate Save The Bay positions on major issues to a broad range of constituencies;
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Coordinator and Communications Director to ensure Save the Bay’s message reaches the Bay community and public officials in an efficient, effective way;
- Turn out voters for ballot referendums;
- Develop and execute outreach and voter mobilization plans;
- Develop strategic partnerships with key community-based organizations working in diverse communities around Narragansett Bay;
- Mobilize volunteers to take action on legislative and ballot initiative campaigns using a variety of tactics: event attendance, digital organizing, calls, letters, petition signature gathering, canvassing, phone banking, etc.;
- Track programs’ progress to goals, produce reports and highlights and adjust plans as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
- Previous experience as an issue advocacy organizer or campaign field organizer.
- Knowledge and experience with the Voter Activation Network (VAN) or similar database.
- Energetic, positive, team-oriented attitude.
- Strong communication skills – speaking, listening and writing.
- Ability to work well and thrive in high-pressure situations such as legislative hearings.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage many complex projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to use information technology to organize and mobilize people, activities and events.
- Flexibility to work on some nights and weekends.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The Community Organizer is a full-time, salaried position with flexible hours, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Maureen Fogarty, Director of Operations
Save The Bay
100 Save The Bay Drive
Providence, R.I. 02905
January 15, 2019