Director of Finance
This position performs senior accountant functions for Save The Bay. The role requires a strong knowledge of non-profit accounting, Blackbaud’s Financial Edge accounting system, and general ledger accounting entries. The Accounting Manager provides controller functions in a full accrual, non-profit, accounting environment.
- Manage financial systems in accordance with GAAP:
- Prepare or oversee entries of transactions in the journal of original entry.
- Prepare and record standard and adjusting journal entries.
- Maintain documentation of processes, policies, and internal controls.
- Oversee and implement accounting for donation and grant restrictions, temporarily restricted net assets, and revenue recognition.
- Monthly and annual reporting:
- Ensure that all transactions are recorded on the general ledger and books of original entry.
- Review balance sheet accounts and reconcile to journals – including agings.
- Develop management reports with the Director of Finance.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements and management reports using Financial Edge’s report generation capabilities.
- Provide support for annual audit process and federal and state non-profit filings:
- Prepare confirmations and schedules requested by auditors.
- Prepare supporting documentation as required for state non-profit filings.
- Cash management:
- Reconcile bank and investment account statements.
- Monitor cash balance in checking account and arrange for transfers in and out of money market accounts as needed to maintain cash availability.
- Obtain and document proper approvals for cash disbursements.
- Arrange transfers into long-term investment accounts or restricted capital accounts as necessary under the direction of the Director of Finance.
- Record investment account transactions.
- Manage interface with Raiser’s Edge database:
- Oversee the integration and transfer of Raiser’s Edge records into Financial Edge to ensure proper classification of revenues.
- Work closely with operations and IT staff to ensure accurate and efficient data entry.
- Review appropriateness of classification of cash receipts and pledges.
- Export cash receipt and pledge data to Financial Edge.
- Manage accounts payable system:
- Work with staff in managing vendors, paying bills, and resolving vendor conflicts.
- Enter payables and review with Director of Operations for payment
- Process payments.
- Manage payroll and benefits transactions:
- Prepare and process payroll (Paychex) and prepare payroll journal entries.
- Calculate employee benefit allowance and deductions.
- Manage employee enrollment in benefit plans
- Manage employee vacation time using Paychex system
- Execute government contract billing and reporting:
- Prepare federal grant billings.
- Evaluate grant compliance.
- Meet as needed with Education staff to coordinate and reconcile billings for classroom instruction, public programs and summer camps.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong accounting experience and training in a full accrual, non-profit environment.
- Strong experience in formalizing and documenting accounting procedures and policies.
- Strong experience in using accounting software (Blackbaud or similar).
- Financial management, reporting and budgeting skills.
- Familiarity with government accounting principles and regulations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and organization.
- A team player who is able to listen well, inspire others, and lead by example.
- A passion for the mission of Save The Bay.
- Skilled in creating and maintaining Excel spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge general ledger accounting software.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge CRM software system.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The Accounting Manager position is a full-time position with benefits.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Maureen Fogarty, Director of Operations
Save The Bay
100 Save The Bay Drive
Providence, R.I. 02905
May 15, 2019