Make Your Yard a Sponge…
…to soak up as much water a possible and prevent it from running off your lawn into streets and storm drains.
- DO direct runoff from your roof and driveway onto grass and planted areas.
- DO collect rainwater from your downspouts in rain barrels, and use this rainwater to water your yard and garden during drier summer months.
- DO create rain gardens to collect and filter rainwater.
- DO keep your lawn at least 3″ high to reduce runoff and soil evaporation
- DO use pervious, or porous, materials, such as pavers, for driveways and walkways.