SPECIAL NOTE: This cleanup will focus on the breakwater and is best suited for adults who are comfortable navigating rocky terrain and rip-rap.
WHAT: Come participate in the International Coastal Cleanup at Salter Grove in Warwick with Save The Bay! Shoreline trash is ugly and dangerous to wildlife, and shoreline cleanups are an easy way for volunteers to make a difference. We will pick up trash and record what we find on data sheets. The resulting data will be included in the Ocean Conservancy’s annual report on marine debris.
WHERE: SEE MAP OF SALTER GROVE. You can use 461 Narragansett Parkway as an approximate GPS address for beach location. Please keep an eye out for a small sign on Narragansett Parkway for George B Salter Grove. Parking lot is small, carpooling is encouraged! NOTE: If we have enough volunteers, we may send a group to nearby Passeonquis Cove Fishing Access.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Dress for the weather! Remember it is often cooler and windier at the shore.
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Closed-toed shoes are required.
- Bring work gloves! We will have disposable gloves as well.
WHAT TO BRING
- A bottle of water (we recommend reusable!) and any snacks you might want.
- Our waiver, completed and signed: Volunteer Waiver Release Form. Completing this form in advance saves time during check in, but we will also have plenty of copies there if you have trouble printing. IF UNDER 18 parent or guardian MUST sign waiver.
- If you have your own trash grabbers, bring them along!
WHO CAN JOIN
- Anyone! Volunteers under 16 must participate with an adult, and adults must supervise their children during the cleanup.
- All volunteers must be able to do some light to moderate bending and lifting.
- Volunteers must have their own transportation to the event.
- See our sheet for safety tips and more ICC info here.
- Need documentation of your volunteer hours? Just ask your cleanup leader at the event. We will have service letters on hand to complete for you.
QUESTIONS? Contact July Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-272-3540 x130.