Sign up here!
WHAT: Come participate in the International Coastal Cleanup at Colt State Park with Save The Bay! Shoreline trash is ugly and dangerous to wildlife, and shoreline cleanups are an easy way for volunteers to make a difference. We will pick up trash and record what we find on data sheets. The resulting data will be included in the Ocean Conservancy’s annual report on marine debris.
WHERE: Colt State Park is a large park! Here is the exact location of the meeting site on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/GPXRCtBkUgZZHb9PA Please follow these directions to find the meeting site:
From points north or south on ROUTE 114 / HOPE STREET in Bristol, turn west onto ASYLUM ROAD (there is a traffic light at this intersection, and two large bulls atop white marble “gates”).
Follow ASYLUM ROAD past the Quinta-Gamelin Community Center, the Bike Path, and when you reach a fork in the road, bear to the left to continue on ASYLUM toward Colt State Park (rather than bearing right towards the Town Beach & athletic fields).
Continue past an unmanned guard shack into Colt State Park, and follow the main road through the park. It will lead you past the Boat Ramp and along the waterfront. Continue ahead, with Narragansett Bay on your right, passing several turnoffs and parking areas. Once you pass a picnic area in a grove of trees with a PUBLIC RESTROOM building, you will see a large parking lot ahead of you, just where the road curves away from the shoreline and into the woods. That’s where we’ll meet!
WHAT TO WEAR
- Dress for the weather! Remember it is often cooler and windier at the shore.
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Closed-toed shoes are required.
- Bring work gloves! We will have disposable gloves as well.
WHAT TO BRING
- A bottle of water (we recommend reusable!) and any snacks you might want.
- Our waiver, completed and signed: Volunteer Waiver Release Form. Completing this form in advance saves time during check in, but we will also have plenty of copies there if you have trouble printing. IF UNDER 18 parent or guardian MUST sign waiver.
- If you have your own trash grabbers, bring them along!
WHO CAN JOIN
- Anyone! Volunteers under 16 must participate with an adult, and adults must supervise their children during the cleanup.
- All volunteers must be able to do some light to moderate bending and lifting.
- Volunteers must have their own transportation to the event.
- See our sheet for safety tips and more ICC info here.
- Need documentation of your volunteer hours? Just ask your cleanup leader at the event. We will have service letters on hand to complete for you.
QUESTIONS? Contact July Lewis at email@example.com or 401-272-3540 x130.