Do you love aquariums, and enjoy working with kids and families? Then come volunteer at Save The Bay’s Exploration Center & Aquarium! Our Aquarium is home to Dogfish Sharks, Octopus, Skates, and more. As a volunteer you will welcome visitors, help them interact with our hands-on exhibits, and teach them about the amazing animals that live in Narragansett Bay. Please read the information below about the training process, and then hit Respond to sign up for one of our upcoming orientations!
PLEASE NOTE: This posting is for the orientation on becoming an Exploration Center & Aquarium volunteer. YOU ONLY NEED TO SIGN UP FOR ONE ORIENTATION, so please select just one date. Once you are a trained volunteer, you will be shown how to sign up for volunteer shifts.
- Commit to volunteering at least once a month OR a minimum of 20 hours for seasonal volunteering (such as for a semester, or during summer vacation)
- Must be friendly, outgoing, reliable, and ready to learn!
- Must be 16+. Volunteer applicants who are 18+ will undergo a background check.
- Aquarium volunteer shifts are available 7 days a week during the summer, and on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays and public school vacations from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Shift times are 9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 12:45-4.
- STEP ONE: Sign up here for a one-hour orientation. (you only need to sign up for one!)
- STEP TWO: Attend orientation. Aquarium staff will introduce the applicant to all aquarium stations and go over the volunteer role. The applicant will receive volunteer training materials and fill out a waiver. NOTE: Volunteers who are under 18 do not need to undergo a background check, but they must have their waiver signed by a parent. PRINT WAIVER HERE.
- STEP THREE: Complete a background check. You will be emailed a link to complete the process online.
- STEP FOUR: Complete a “shadow shift” – observe a trained volunteer for a full shift.
- STEP FIVE: If you are a good fit for the program, then you can join the team! You will be added to our email list and asked to sign up for shifts according to your schedule.
BENEFITS FOR REGULAR VOLUNTEERS:
- Free Save The Bay t-shirt to wear during Aquarium shifts
- Free admission for two to Newport Mansions
- 25% off admission to Mystic Aquarium
- Experience in environmental education, marine biology and visitor outreach.
PLEASE NOTE: This opportunity is not appropriate for short term or court-ordered community service.