Tonight's Feeding Frenzy is canceled. Help us feed the critters next month, on November 17.
Winter Hours (Labor Day–Memorial Day): Fri.–Sun., 10 am–4 pm
Summer Hours (Memorial Day–Labor Day): Daily, 10 am–4 pm
Whether you're a local or just visiting the Newport area, our Exploration Center & Aquarium, with its beachfront location, is the perfect family destination any time of year!
Our interactive marine science center is home to more than 40 species from Narragansett Bay, often including rare lobsters, crabs, seahorses, sea robins, terrapins and more. Three touch tanks allow you to get up close and personal with little skates, urchins, spider crabs, sea stars, dogfish sharks and more - all from local waters. And, with Newport's only ocean-facing beach just outside our front door, you can continue the beachcombing experience after your visit.
October Theme - Amazing Adaptation!
This October at the Exploration Center and Aquarium, the amazing adaptations of our residents are on display. Visitors learn about unique animal adaptations, enjoy an interactive story time and go searching around the Aquarium during an adaptation-themed scavenger hunt. Guests can also engage in a unique arts and crafts project creating their own adaptation that they believe would help them survive in Narragansett Bay.
Adaptations, sometimes called adaptive traits, have a functional role in the life of an organism. They can be expressed in physical characteristics and behaviors that allow a particular species to thrive in its ecosystem. Many creatures in our oceans have unique traits that allow them to survive. As the weather begins to get colder in Narragansett Bay, those adaptations will become very important for survival, such as a harbor seal’s blubber and the tough shell of a horseshoe crab.
We are open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Labor Day and Friday through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. after Labor Day.
Public Programs at the Aquarium
- Feeding Frenzy: The third Thursday of every month (dates listed below) - Join us from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. to learn about and assist in feeding some of our favorite critters. See our little skates chow down, watch our stargazer electrify his prey, and more. Advanced registration ($10/$8 members) is required. Call 401-324-6020 to register.
- Three touch tanks
- Big Fish of the Bay
- Smooth dogfish sharks
- Little skates
- Rare lobsters
Easton's Beach Rotunda, 175 Memorial Boulevard, Newport, RI 02840 (map & directions)
Hours of operation
- SUMMER HOURS (Memorial Day thru Labor Day): Daily 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- WINTER HOURS (Labor Day thru Memorial Day): Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- February and April public school vacations: Daily 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Third Thursday of every month - Feeding Frenzy: 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Open year-round for Schools and Groups, and offering education programs linked to the Grade Span Expectations. Browse & book programs >
Other important dates for the Exploration Center & Aquarium
- Starting on September 2 we will only be open Fridays through Sundays 10-4.
For more information call 401-324-6020
General admission is $8; discounts for military ID and senior citizens. Family members and above enjoy FREE admission for 2 adults and up to 4 children. Become a member now.
Feeding Frenzy: $10 general admission; $8 members; free for children 3 years and under. Register now.
Volunteer at the Exploration Center!
Interested in welcoming visitors to the center, taking care of the animals and teaching about marine life? Join our team as an intern or volunteer! Visit our volunteer & internship page or contact Volunteer Manager July Lewis for more information.